Practice makes perfect — or at least better. The Columbia Agility Team currently has two practice/training facilities that are available for open practice for club members and for individual or group practice sessions and is searching for a third. The barns have a full complement of agility equipment. We don’t advertise the location of the barns. If you are a member and need directions, CONTACT US.
The Aurora Barn
The CAT Aurora practice barn is available for “drop-in” club practice sessions Friday evenings from 7 PM to 9 PM and Sunday afternoons from 3 PM to 4:30 PM for beginning dogs, 4:30 to 6PM for advanced dogs. Cost is $3 per dog, $5 for two. The barn can be rented by CAT members for individual or group training sessions at other times (unless the Barn is being used for CAT Classes) for $35 a month for one hour per week. You MUST sign up on the Drop-in Calendar. Contact the Barn Equipment Manager or the Scheduling Coordinator HERE for the current barn schedule – you can take a look at the Drop In Calendar first to see what times are available.
The Helvetia Barn
The Helvetia Barn is open for business. Here is the Current Barn Schedule. Blank Periods are available for rental. The Barn Scheduling Coordinator for the Helvetia Barn is Edith Mahoney. You MUST sign up on the Drop-In Calendar BEFORE you use the barn. The barn may be rented by CAT members at times the barn is not being used for classes for $35 per month for one hour per week. You must pay the fee at the time you use the barn. If you are paying with cash or CAT Bucks, please attach a note with your name. Contact the Barn Equipment Manager, Jody Becher, or the Barn Scheduling Coordinator, Edith Mahoney, HERE.
Observe the Barn Rules
Having daily use of the barns for practice and classes is one of the major benefits of CAT membership. To make sure that we are able to maintain the use of the barn, we must make sure we observe the Barn rules. In general, the rules are:
These rules and guidelines are for the safety of both dogs and handlers.
1. ONLY Columbia Agility Club members are allowed to run dogs within the barn. The only exceptions are students participating in a CAT agility class.
2. UNLESS your dog is on the course, it shall be confined to a crate or x-pen, or under physical control by a lead. DO NOT LET YOUR DOG OFF LEAD OUTSIDE THE BARN. Please monitor your dog to make sure you pick up after them when in the barn as well as outside.
3. ONLY ONE dog may be run on the course at a time. During warm-ups more than one dog may be on the course providing all dogs are on lead.
4. THE COURSE DESIGN will be at the discretion of the participants. Please make sure all standard equipment is left out for the next participant and any non-standard equipment (channel weaves, adjustable teeter, broad jump etc.) is put away neatly.
5. DOG FECAL material must be picked up and bagged and left in the trash can by the porta potty at both the Helvetia and Aurora barns. DO NOT place plastic bags in the Porta Potty. Handlers must spray any soiled areas inside the barn with the disinfectant spray bottle of Nature’s Miracle or like enzyme remover provided. Please do not leave food treats and material in the arena grounds.
6. NO FEMALE DOGS IN HEAT are permitted within the barn area, or in the parking area at any time.
7. Please promptly report ALL incidents involving any injury to persons or animals, or property damage, to the Barn Equipment Manager.
Specific Rules for the Helvetia Barn as of December 2015 are here, even though it says Germantown on the top of the document.